Front axle & CAD

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 11:21:47 EDT

Alright, so I'm aproaching the detail work of my engine swap - I'm
putting a 94 318/5spd into my 89 Convertible (was a 3.9L/auto). I have
to decide how to handle the front axle and I have questions:

The '89 has vacuum-operated axle disconnect. The '94 donor does not
have the disconnect. Are there other differences between the '89 and
the '94 axles (besides bolt pattern)?

Can the '89 axle handle being engaged full time the same that the '94 does?

Do the half-shafts differ in spline count or anything between the '89
and the '94?... are they interchangable if I want to keep my bolt
pattern but swap the rest of the axle?

By the same token, do the rear axleshafts differ in spline count?...
depending on ratio, if I take the '94 front axle, I may have to take
the rear too.

So here are the options I see... any I should strike out or add?

1) Adjust the fork & clips inside the disconnect so that it's always
engaged. Keep the complete '89 axle assembly.

2) Alternative adjustment to disconnect so that it's always engaged or
manually switched.

3) Put my '89 transfer case back in. It has the vacuum switch for
operating the disconnect... I'm assuming they bolt up and this won't
cause wiring/computer problems. I hate bench-pressing that damn akward
transfer case though...

4) Swap the '94 axle in. Have to figure out spline count, axle ratio,
and consider bolt pattern and rear axle swap.

5) Solid Axle. Oh sorry, that's from Walt's project list. I'll stick with IFS.

Thanks!
Don
74 Dart Sport 340
89 Dakota Convertible 318/5spd/4x4 (almost!)
CT

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |