Re: OT: flash to pass switch

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 11:51:07 EDT

--- jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Well, I'm no wizard, but I do know enough to get
> myself
> into trouble. ;-)

Really? I thought you were the all knowing, all
powererful... oh wait, thats The Wizard of Tom!

> Unfortunately, I don't know how much help I'm
> going to be
> since it really depends on how your bike is
> currently wired.
> Here's the basic process I would use, I don't know
> if it will
> be of any help or not...

Okay.... Here we go!

> I am assuming that your low beam headlight is on
> all the
> time, and what you want to do is to be able to hit a
> momentary
> switch which will either switch the low beam to the
> high beam,

Yep that's it!

> I don't know if that helps at all? Its just hard
> to say
> without knowing how the factory wired the bike. I
> think its
> just going to be one of those deals where you have
> to crack it
> open, play around with a multimeter and some jumper
> wires, blow
> a few fuses and figure out what makes it tick. :-)

Oh come on Jon, you got a Suzuki, only a year older
than mine. You know you want to do this for your bike,
so just go out to the barn and do that Mr. Wizard
stuff tha...oh yeah, Tom again. Well, anyway why don't
you go do yours and play edufmacted spark chaser and
send the entire procedure when you're down? Hell, I'll
even send you a few new fuses for the ones you blow!

> A couple other possible options:
>
> If there is a newer model of your bike that has
> this feature,
> possibly the switch from that bike could be swapped
> into yours.

Good suggestion. However, Suzuki quit making the
Bandit in 05, no dealer was able to keep one in the
showroom for more than a couple weeks, and they did
change up the styling in I think 99 or 01 and moved a
bunch of stuff into the fairing. On the older models
like mine, the only thing in the fairing is the
headlight. Even the turnsignals were stalk mounted. On
the newer ones, the intergrated the headlight,
instrument cluster, and turnsignals into the fairing
so the wiring harness is probably way different. Might
even use a relay on the newer model as you suggested.

> Of course, the cheap, cop-out method would be to
> just flick the
> high and low beam switch back and forth. :-)

Thats what I'm doing now and if your hand goes a bit
numb at times, you can't always flick the switch fast
enough. Thats why I want to do a push button,
momentary type switch.

> .- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or
> jon@jonsteiger.com -.
> | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76
> Peugeot TSA |
> | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92
> Dodge Ram 4x4 |
> | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96
> Kolb FireFly |
> | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500
> CTD |
> `---------------------------------

See? I was right! You DO have a Suzuki and only a year
older than mine. Of course you have a bit more
displacement then me, but thats ok. Its a cruiser not
a canyon carver.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I do appreciate
it. I guess I'm gonna have to just start playing with
it and find out what I need to do. If I get it figured
out, I'll let you know. BTW Jon, I got my Corbin
saddle on last week. World of difference. Its like
riding my Lazy-Boy recliner down the road!

Ray Irons
Quincy, CA

98 Dakota Sport
97 Suzuki Bandit 1200 S