Re: Front axle & CAD

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 11:57:56 EDT

Don Rey wrote:

> Alright, so I'm aproaching the detail work of my engine swap - I'm
> putting a 94 318/5spd into my 89 Convertible (was a 3.9L/auto). I have
> to decide how to handle the front axle and I have questions:

I have a question for you - how are you dealing with the conversion from
auto to stick? Crossmember? CLutch pedel??

> The '89 has vacuum-operated axle disconnect. The '94 donor does not
> have the disconnect. Are there other differences between the '89 and
> the '94 axles (besides bolt pattern)?

CV axles between the 89 and 94 are different. As far as I can tell the
difference is outboard - where the axles spline into the hubs. The
center section between a Gen I and a Gen II should be interchangeable.
I considered this option once already and did research into it.

> Can the '89 axle handle being engaged full time the same that the '94 does?

Yeah if you lock the shift fork and collar in place, the driveline
should handle it - all it will be doing is rotating while driving, it
won't be under power. (disconnected at the transfercase)

> Do the half-shafts differ in spline count or anything between the '89
> and the '94?... are they interchangable if I want to keep my bolt
> pattern but swap the rest of the axle?

As stated above the axles are different I believe but the width and bolt
count on the center section should be the same. The axle halfshafts are
different part numbers.

> By the same token, do the rear axleshafts differ in spline count?...
> depending on ratio, if I take the '94 front axle, I may have to take
> the rear too.

As long as you have the same axle housing (8-1/4) the spline count
should be 27 - and they are easily changed. (pop the crosspin out and
remove the C-clips and bingo)

You are better off keeping the 5-lug pattern, as wheel options are
better. There are more choices out there for the 6- lug pattern now than
there were when it first came out, but the 5 lug pattern wheels are
cheaper, and more plentiful.

Also - I do not know if the front hubs are interchangable. I looked at
this on my 1995, since the rear differential grenaded and I had a spare
8-1/4 from a Gen I with the 5 lug pattern. I was looking to swap the
Gen I 5 lugs into it. The front hub assemblys are different and I
didn't get far enough to see if they are interchangeable. they "might" be.

> So here are the options I see... any I should strike out or add?
>
> 1) Adjust the fork & clips inside the disconnect so that it's always
> engaged. Keep the complete '89 axle assembly.
>
> 2) Alternative adjustment to disconnect so that it's always engaged or
> manually switched.
>
> 3) Put my '89 transfer case back in. It has the vacuum switch for
> operating the disconnect... I'm assuming they bolt up and this won't
> cause wiring/computer problems. I hate bench-pressing that damn akward
> transfer case though...
>
> 4) Swap the '94 axle in. Have to figure out spline count, axle ratio,
> and consider bolt pattern and rear axle swap.
>
> 5) Solid Axle. Oh sorry, that's from Walt's project list. I'll stick
> with IFS.

As Walt and myself can both attest to, the CAD units on the Gen I's are
a pile of crap. My first choice would be to see you swap out the Gen I
center section for the Gen II section, assuming it will work.

A little while ago I had thought about welding the diff on my front
center section, and keeping use of the CAD... acting like selectable
locker. I decided against it however, when I figured that I would be
snapping halfshafts, or front axle u-joints, like crazy. Part of me
wishes I would still do that, just to see what it would take to snap
something. heh.

Gimme some pics man! I'd like to see what you are doing! How did you
deal with the radiator and cooling system?

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'