Re: towing a dakota--need help ASAP

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2006 - 18:59:24 EDT

--- Brian Fitchett <bfitchett@comcast.net> wrote:

  The dolly is cheaper but i dont
> think the carriers are
> big enough for the dak

Brian,
  Having just moved from Delaware to California I used
a 26 foot U-Haul truck and got their car carrier for
my Dak. I felt more comfortable going all the way
across country using it rather than a dolly. I wasn't
worried about wear on my vehicle tires or drive line.
I would offer this piece of advice in reference to a
car carrier. Make sure you inspect the straps that go
over the front wheels. You might even want to trial
load your Dak on to the trailer and make sure it can
be fully secured before you leave the U-Haul or
whoever rental place. On the carrier I used, the one
for the right front tire had been repaired using
rivets before I rented it. As such, the strap was too
short to go over top of my tire and secure my truck. I
ended up using a 10000 lb tie down strap I had to
secure the truck. If your Dak has over-sized tires on
it, the stock tire tie downs on a car carrier may not
fit. You would probably be better off using a set of
heavy duty ratcheting tie down cargo straps from Auto
Zone or someplace, and securing the frame of your Dak
to the frame of the trailer.

HTH,

Ray Irons
Quincy, Ca