Re: RE: SRT-8

From: sneezer@gmail.com
Date: Wed Jul 05 2006 - 13:23:37 EDT

In article <e8bcmg$4e4$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> I haven't driven an SRT-8 version, but I've driven the standard
> versions of the 300C and Magnum. They are nice cars, but my biggest
> complaint is the poor visibility. I think the experience is pretty
> close to that of a plow horse when they slap the blinders on him. :-)
> Those gun slit windows look very cool, but I don't think I could
> live with them on a daily basis.
>

> --

My folks have both a Magnum RT and a 300 SRT8. Nice cars, but they do have some
issues. For me at 6'1" or so, I find the drivers seat a little cramped. Mainly
it is the center console, which is too close to my right knee when I drive.
Visibility is also pretty poor in both cars. The front dash is massive, and if
you have to adjust the rear view mirror you actually have to unbuckle your seat
belt and pull yourself forward to reach it, unless you have arms like an
orang-utan.

The SRT8 also does not come with a jack or spare tire. Instead DC gives you a
can of tire goop and a 12v compressor. If the hole is too big to use the goop
on then you have no choice but to call a towtruck. My folks have already had 2
blowouts due to road debris. New tires are expensive at $200+ a pop. The airdam
is also too low. Many speedbumps and all curbs/berms/parking blocks are too
high and it will hit. My folks are now on their 2nd or 3rd airdam as a result.
This is apparently a common problem with all the 300s, as the local dealer told
them they keep several in stock just for this type of problem. SRT8 is a
different style though, and usually has to be ordered. Of course, my mother's
parking habits are part of the problem too ;)

Both do make a fair amount of power though, and are fairly smooth on the road.
The Magnum currently has a K&N CAI, Magnaflow catback exhaust, and just
recently the new superchips tuner. SRT8 is still stock, and will probably
remain that way since it is Mom's car.

Kevin
1992 CC 318 2wd
.