[National DML Meet] Made it home from the meet

From: Jon Steiger (blogger@jonsteiger.com)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 16:20:54 EDT

   =20 To make a long story short, the plane from Colorado Springs to
   Chicago was = about an hour late in leaving, then O'Hare got socked in
   with thunderstorms= so we circled Peoria for a bit and then landed at
   U of L in Champaign/Urba= na for some more fuel and to wait out the
   storm before heading back to Chic= ago. There was wifi access there,
   but restricted to university staff and s= tudents only unfortunately,
   so I couldn't send an update at that time. The= re was supposed to be
   a 4 hour layover in Chicago, but with all the delays,= they were
   actually beginning boarding of the connecting flight to Buffalo = as
   we were getting off the plane from Colorado Springs. I was a bit
   worrie= d about the checked baggage making it over in time, but 10
   minutes prior to= the scheduled departure time, I saw my bags being
   loaded onto the conveyor= . Nothing left to do now but recover from
   the meet. :-) I'm a bit tired = naturally but I think I caught
   something at the campground; had a bit of a = scratch in my throat on
   the last day, I thought it was from breathing too m= uch bonfire, but
   the grogginess and sniffles have started to hit me today.<= br />
   I don't recall who came up with the suggestion (Adam or Mike may=
   be?), but I would definitely be up for making a meet of this type a
   more fr= equent event. It would be an interesting way to see parts of
   the country t= hat we might ordinarily never have the opportunity or
   motivation to visit. = The scripts and such that I wrote to do the
   voting for the national meet c= ould certainly be recycled to
   determine the next location. Maybe if you're= watching the travel
   channel or stumble across a location which might make = a good meet
   spot, keep it in mind to throw into the hat for the next time. = I
   hope you'll forgive me if I don't put quite as much effort into future
   m= eets though. :-) I think I learned my lesson with this one; plans
   seemed = to change faster than the weather did last week, and I do
   regret spending s= o much time and effort in preparation for things
   that never came to be. No= t that I'm complaining; it is what it is...
   It seems like the DML in gener= al prefers to take the "fly by the
   seat of your pants" route; I probably sh= ould have recognized that
   sooner, but that's fine by me, I can adjust and w= ill just plan on
   winging more stuff myself. :-)
   One thing that= I hope we can incorporate into any future meets is the
   geocaching. I have= done some of it myself in the past, but always by
   myself. Doing it in a g= roup really does add a new dimension of fun.
   Plus, the caches are easier t= o find with all those extra pairs of
   eyes. :-)
   --
   Posted by Jon Steiger to National DML Meet at 7= /23/2006 01:53:00 PM

.
.
| The National DML Meet is in progress! http://meet.dakota-truck.net |