Re: stupid Engine Stand question

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 00:19:31 EDT

Dan Kramarsky wrote:

> Ok, I have a 318 block I am working with. What torque should I use to mount the rear
> face of block ( those 3/8-16 tranny mount holes ) to the stand head?
>
> Should it be the same torque? Or *more* torque since its supporting the entire weight
> of the block?
>
> Also I bought Grade 8 bolts for this. Was that correct to do?
>

> and last: is it a good idea to chase the threads of the those holes before putting the
> block on the stand?
>
> -dan
>

> Dan K.

Hey Dan, I used grade 8 bolts when I had mine up on the stand. I used
grade 8 bolts with grade 8 washers (and nuts for the lower holes where
the bolts went through the block casting). I tightened them down goood
and tight by hand. I didn't use a torque wrench, but you could. I also
would not reuse those bolts for anything afterwards. The stress from
holding up an engine at high torque levels would make me not trust them
again. And yeah - tap the bolt holes before you put it on the stand,
and then again after, when you are ready to bolt the trans up to it.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine