Re: wrecked the neon

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 00:34:00 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> On Mon, July 24, 2006 11:53 pm, Terrible Tom said:

> Yoda says:
> "This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to
> the future, to the new cars on the lot. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm?
> What he was doing. Hmph. Cars. Heh. Trucks. Heh. A Jedi craves not these
> things. You are reckless."

lol!

> Sorry Tom, couldn't resist. Sorry to hear about the Neon. You gotta start
> watching where you're going, I think.

Bleh - I lump this one up in the realm of a freak accident. I drive the
used car lots around here VERY frequently. I've never even once had a
close call with anything. I honestly do not know how I didn't see the
damned pole. A few factors may have played a role. It was dark, the
pole is painted black... it was raining outsided, visibility was lower
with that... and I was tired after a long day... (sigh) whatever.

> On an unrelated topic... I don't know if it'll make you feel any better, but
> it turned out you were right to have been concerned about the driver's side
> brake caliper on Norah's Dakota. I took it in on Monday to a local dealer for
> an oil change and brake fluid flush. The bleeder screw on that caliper
> snapped right off in the tech's hand. They took me back to have a look at it.
> He agreed with you that it was probably sticking a bit, and we decided that
> rather than fool around with an EZ-out (which, based on what I saw, didn't
> stand a good chance of working anyway), I'd be better off replacing the
> caliper. For a while it was starting to look like we were going to end up
> postponing our departure as they couldn't locate the part, but finally they
> managed to find an aftermarket version somewhere. Not a fun way to spend the
> last day of a vacation. The tech did ask how it got SO rusty for only being
> five years old. Funny, I thought it was in pretty good shape for its age. I
> reminded him we live in Ontario. Blank stare. "It's near Buffalo."
> AAAaaaaaahhhhhh... the rust belt! Yeah.

MMmm yeah I just had a feeling that caliper was getting flakey. The
ridge on the inside of the rotor only, is a tell tail sign that a
caliper is dragging. I'm glad you had it taken care of prior to hitting
the road. LOL@ the rusty comment. Gotta keep in mind these guys out
west don't see the harsh winters and barges of road salt that we see.

How do the brakes stop now that you had the fluid replaced and the
caliper changed out? Do you still have the soft spongey feeling?

> Just another reason I'd like to move out there some day.

heh - I got outta Chicago, your chance will come too :)

>>F'ed up my left hand when it was jammed into the steering wheel.
>

> Did you get that looked at yet? Or is it less serious than it sounds?

No I didn't get it looked at. (probably should have, but I'm a stubborn
ass) I've been doing cold packs and Advil and its getting better slowly.
  I think it just made mashed taters out of the ligiments and the
knuckles. I can type again with it and I can use it almost normally but
I still cant clench a fist yet without discomfort. Lots better than it
was before.

The Neon on the other hand (no pun intenteded) may still stay in my
fleet. Its by no means wrecked beyond repair. Save for the radiator
its all cosmetic damage. Problem being with these damned unibody
construction cars, is you can't just unbolt the front end support like
you can on a Dak, and bolt a new one in. There are welds and the damned
thing is part of the overall structural integrity. I'm going to get
estimates later this week if possible, and see what it will cost a body
shop to repair it. I'm trying to decide if its worth fixing a car that
has had three cyl. heads on it, high milage, and could have power train
issues at any given moment.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine