OBD II code readers

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 15:52:13 EDT

Anyone ever used any of the various cheap code readers? Are they even worth
the plastic they're made out of? There are a bunch of them on eBay for around
$40 if you want to see what I'm looking at (go to eBay and search for "OBD II
reader"). I'm sure they're silly little toys compared to the high-end
scanners, but all I want is something to replace the ignition key trick to
retrieve codes. That doesn't seem to work any more on the 2001 :-(.

This issue came up today, Norah called me at work to tell me the check engine
light was on, and she wasn't sure if it meant "you might want to get something
checked in the next month or so" or if it was more like "emergency, turn the
engine off right now". The only thing I could think to tell her was as long
as it was still running, just drive it straight to a mechanic (it turned out
to be some hose that was leaking, I haven't found out which one yet). I guess
she could have tried a parts store like Napa or Canadian Tire, but I'm not
sure if they have the free code reading service like Auto Zone does, and
besides she said she wouldn't have known what to do with the result anyway.

Obviously I'd much rather have something like an Actron CP9145, but it's more
money than I want to spend right now. I figure for $40 I can throw one of
these readers in the console for emergencies and if it gets busted or
something it's not that big a deal.

Thanks.