Re: OT Caravan Exhaust Q

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 08:13:35 EDT

Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com> wrote:

: Anyone know what is the metal used in the OEM Caravan mufflers?

: I've developed a leak in part of the seam that runs the length of my 96
: Grand Caravan. My guess is stainless steel? I'd like to put a temporary
: patch on it if I can find something (any suggestions?) long enough to act
: as clamps around the circumference of the muffler. TIA.

  Maybe that aluminum flashing that they sell in rolls at a
hardware store - just sort've wrap it around there? You'd
still need to figure a way to clamp it of course. I'm thinking
maybe some sort of strapping or metal zip ties? Course, if
you have to buy something, you might already be halfway to
a new muffler - is it possible to pick up an el cheapo version
for $20 or so?

  Depending on the severity of the leak, maybe some muffler
goop would hold it off temporarily, or you can buy "liquid
metal" at the auto parts stores which is strong enough to be
filed, sanded, tapped, etc. after it hardens. If you can
pack the seam with that stuff, that may do the trick.

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'