Re: OT Caravan Exhaust Q

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 11:53:00 EDT

At 08:13 AM 8/10/06, you wrote:
><SNIP> - is it possible to pick up an el cheapo version
>for $20 or so?

Not in Canada :-( I've read that someone put on
a Walker Sound FX muffler ($50-60CND) but will have
to check around to see who has them and if they have
one for the 96 Grand Caravan model.

> Depending on the severity of the leak, maybe some muffler
>goop would hold it off temporarily, or you can buy "liquid
>metal" at the auto parts stores which is strong enough to be
>filed, sanded, tapped, etc. after it hardens. If you can
>pack the seam with that stuff, that may do the trick.

That's what I'm initially looking at. As far as I can tell,
there is little rust on the whole exhaust system and it seems
quite solid. The leak is about a foot long along the seam
(just by running my palm along it while engine is running).
The seam seems to have just separated but it doesn't feel
any different from where the seam is not leaking.

The muffler's circumference is just a little over 23 1/2 inches.
I've got a repair kit that has a metal strap with a holes
drilled through at intervals so that a bolt/nut can be put
in to clamp it up. I might be able to cut it into 3 pieces
and get 3 clamps out of it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob