Re: Transmission Work

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 23:16:01 EDT

Phillip Batson wrote:

I'm starting to have some issues with my transmission. I've kept up with
all the maintenance, but it still doesn't want to "grab" when I put it
into reverse after starting up. And I've noticed that it isn't dropping
into the OD as quickly anymore. Do you guys think it's better to take it
to the dealer to look at or a 3rd party transmission outfit? I'm in the
South Chicagoland area, Joliet, specifically. Any recommendations?

> Thanks!
>
> Phil
> 2000 4x4 CC 4.7L (87k miles)

DO NOT! I repeat DO NOT! Take it to ANY AAMCO transmission shops! I
dealt with the one @ 5650 North Western Avenue, Chicago... up near what
was at the time Northestern Dodge dunno if its still called that - they
are another place (Northwestern Dodge) to stay the hell away from.

AAMCO lowballed me on the price initially, then quoted me a skyrocketd
price after they tore it apart... something like $2800 for a REBUILD.
Then wanted to charge me a boat load if I wanted to have them put it
back together as is and take it elsewhere... when the contract I signed
clearly stated something like only a $75 diagnostics fee... they flat
out lied to me over it... I had a friend of mine come with me the next
day and just about box the dudes ears in. We were in the guys office
just SCREAMING and swearing back and forth.. other customers in the
lobby were like WFT??? LOL was golden now that I look back at that
part.. the people in there must have instantly feared for the cars they
had brought into that shop. heh.

We got the guy to come down on the price after threatening the crap
outta him... the trans started making noises again almost a year later,
just befor ethe warranty was to expire. They told me it was a "heat
sheild" ratteling. I know it was the blasted torque converter. I know
they fhawked me on the rebuild. They refused to warranty anything
because they claimed nothing was wrong.

On the bus home the day I originally dropped it off, I struck up a
conversation with an older man who was also leaving AAMCO, he told me he
had taken his car back to them again, because the transmission kept
leaking after he had them rebuild it.

Josh has had some transmission rebuilding experiance in the chicago
area... he would probably be able to recommend someone. I don't have
anyone I can recommend. I have had very little in the way of
satisfaction with any of the tranny experiences I've gone through.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine