Re: Radiator drain

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 10:59:03 EDT

At 03:59 PM 8/15/06, you wrote:
>I just want to confirm which way is open.

Counter-clockwise for the draincock stem.

>The drain valve must be clogged; but, before I try too hard
>to clear it out I want to verify which way opens the drain.
>Should the valve be vertical or horizontal to open the drain?

The FSM shows that it's a three item assembly: the stem,
a seal, a draincock body. I don't know if the shop removed
the assembly from the rad or not when the work was done.
The draincock body is a separate piece and, from the picture
(while hard to tell), it's might be possible that the body might
have to be "properly oriented" when putting it into the rad opening.

Removal

Unscrew draincock stem via counter-clockwise rotation.
When stem completely unscrewed, pull it from the rad
and from the draincock body. Using a needlenose plier, compress
the draincock body and pull straight out from the rad.

Note:
When installing, install the draincock stem loosely into the body.
DO NOT THREAD STEM INTO THE DRAINCOCK BODY...
the draincock assembly cannot be installed if the stem is threaded
into the body.

Push the assembly into the rad opening and it will snap into
place when fully seated. Tighten draincock stem 18-25 in. lb.
torque.

Personal note:
I have never used the draincock to remove coolant. I used to remove
via the lower rad hose but it was still a little messy. I now use a hand-held
fluid removal pump and remove coolant up at the rad cap. HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, 44RE auto., 4.56SG