RE: Dash Light diagram

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 08:33:51 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Chris Reck
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:09 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: Dash Light diagram

The first thing I would check is the 4wd sense switch on the transfer case.
I've had 2 of them fail on my '99. It can be done from under the truck but
it's not easy.
First, feel around on top of the transfer case for the switch electrical
connection. You won't be able to see it. Unplug the connector and move it to
where you can see it. Jumper the 2 blades with a small test connector. With
the ignition on, this should illuminate the light. If it does, you need a
new switch. The dealer will probably have to order one. I don't remember the
wrench size but I think it was 7/8". A box end wrench will fit, sort-of. A
socket will fit but the socket wrench probably won't. The switch is steel
ball that gets depressed into the housing by one of the shift forks. I have
no idea why they fail since they're completely sealed. I've replaced it
twice in 7 years. It's a pain but it can be done with the truck on jack
stands.
Good luck.

With this being said, I replaced the bulbs for the Cruise (don't have it)
with the one for 4WD Part Time and did the instrument panel diagnostics. No

light for my 4WD light.

Since it went out gradually, I didn't think this was it. Can anyone else
suggest what to check?