Re: Cathodic protection

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 15:30:49 EDT

"Neil W. Bellenger" <neil624b@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

: I seem to remember that this was discussed years ago but I can't find it in
: the archives.
: Museum ships use cathodic protection to prevent the hulls from corroding and
: plating out on some (higher or lower valence, can't remember which) part of
: the waterfront. The Navy uses sacrificial zincs to accomplish the same
: thing. The zincs eventually turn mushy and disappear and require
: replacement.

: Atmospheric contaminants and road salt on vehicles gets caught in crevices
: and are sometimes in solution but even with an impressed voltage or
: "capacitive coupling??" I don't see how the product makes the sodium ions
: jump off the truck.

: Buy one and let us know Jason. LOL

  Hi Neil,

  Glad to see you are still around; you are a wealth of information
as usual! I was going to post on this one, but you and a few other
folks beat me to it. :-) I was actually watching a Discovery/History
channel program just last week and they mentioned how ships and oil
rigs, etc. have cathodes attached to them, the theory being that they
will corrode instead of the ship. As soon as I saw that, I started
wondering if the same thing would work for a car, especially given
that anything driven in the winter starts to rust so quickly around
here what with the rampant road salt use. I started to do some
research on it, and quickly decided that it would probably be easier
to just learn how to do body work. ;-) (Or get into the habit of
spraying down the vehicle and undercarriage every day.) Its
just so dang-tootin' annoying how quickly a vehicle driven in these
parts will start to fall apart. :-(

--
                                          -Jon-