Re: Utility Trailers

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 13:18:11 EDT

Chris Orr <chris@manual-override.net> wrote:

: Hi list,

: I'm looking for a 5x8 trailer to pull with my Dakota. I've came across one at Tractor Supply, but it's got a metal-mesh deck.
: Just curious- are there any disadvantages/advantages between a wood and a metal deck?
: Would the metal trailer become a rattle-trap after a couple years, more so than one with a wood deck?
: I'm thinking a wood deck would be kind to things we are carrying, like drywall and other home-improvement supplies.

: Just looking for some input on this particular subject.

   I would probably prefer a wood deck, for longevity reasons.
Unless you take rather extreme measures like oiling down the
trailer every night and storing it inside, eventually that metal
is going to rust. The wood will fade, possibly swell or crack,
but it won't rust. If you throw stuff into the trailer like
firewood or drop something heavy in there, with wood you don't have
to worry about a permanent dent, or having the paint scraped off
that area to accelerate rust. You might get a chip in the wood,
but nothing that is a real problem. If some of the boards get
damaged, they can be replaced. Repairs to the deck can be done
without the aid of a welder.

   Wood also makes it easier to refurbish the trailer down the
road. We have a 5x8 trailer which is 20 years old. It has been
stored outside its entire life, and it was in pretty sad condition.
A few years ago, I ripped off the remaining wood, made a couple
of necessary repairs to the frame, cleaned the rust off the frame
and painted it, then laid down a new deck using pressure treated
wood and stainless hardware. I also built new rails out of
pressure treated wood and stainless. Its good for another couple
of decades. :-)

   One drawback to the wood is that it is probably going to
be heavier than the expanded metal deck, so the load carrying
ability might be less. This might not be a big deal for you,
but just something to keep in mind as you are looking at trailers.

--
                                          -Jon-