Re: More questions on brakes

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 17:31:57 EDT

Hey, David...

<snip>but in the Dak it seems like stepping on
the brake pedal works ok, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of pedal
 feel to it. It's not sinking down or losing pressure (had leaking brake
lines
 on my old '73 Buick, so I know what that's like), but it's also not like I
 get the feeling that if I stepped down any harder that I could lock up the
 wheels or anything. It seems to stop ok, it just doesn't seem real
agressive
 about it.<snip>

It's probably time for new rotors - OR at least getting them turned
down...One thing you don't hear too much about is the work-hardening of the
surface of the rotors after extreme braking conditions. You don't know if
the previous owner spent a lot of time towing a heavy trailer (or not) &
having to stand on the brakes in order to get everything to stop...Anyhoo,
the surface of the rotors - especially if they're an alloy with high
Manganese content (as opposed to low-carbon steel), can actually receive
heat-treatment from the brake pads - especially metallic ones - they then
become surface hardened the the pads can't "bite" into em to help ya
stop... (My own ex machinist $.02 & you can keep the change!)

<snip> I also have some occasional braking shimmey, which I assume is the
rotors
 needing to be turned or replaced. It's not consistant, though, which makes
me
 think that one side or the other could be grabbing? Could that be a master
 cylinder symptom?<snip>

The occasional shimmy COULD be caused by rust that has formed on the rotors
where the pads are not in contact - if the vehicle sits for awhile. When the
pads collapse on the rotor, the rust will cause a different feel than the
clean steel, until the rust cleans off under braking conditions.

<snip> I prefer to do my own work, but I'll have to have a shop do the
rotors and
 drums. Is there anything else I need to be looking in to here?<snip>

If you notice that the passenger side seems to doing the "grabbing" it's
probably your brake booster. You can replace it yourself, but it's a 3-4
hour job & ya gotta be a contortionist & use every possible extension on
your sockets. If ya let it go too long, you may generate enough heat to
cause the p-side wheel bearing to fail...I'm pretty sure that's what
happened on the DAKSY...
HSOTH,

Bob (DAKSY) Smith
DAKSY2K on AIM