Re: Re: More questions on brakes

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2006 - 12:19:11 EDT

On Saturday 09 September 2006 04:31 pm, DAKSY wrote:
> It's probably time for new rotors - OR at least getting them turned
> down...

Ok, I'll start with getting the drums and rotors turned, or replaced if
they're beyond the thickness tollerance. You're right, I have no idea what
sort of braking they've been used for, and no idea when they may have been
worked on. The old pads and shoes I took off didn't appear to be that old, so
somebody did a brake job on it at least once in the last five years, but
that's about all I know for sure. Given the almost 20k/year average they were
driving, it's probably a good bet that the rotors and drums saw at least some
hard braking.

> <snip> I also have some occasional braking shimmey, which I assume is the
> rotors
> needing to be turned or replaced. It's not consistant, though, which makes
> me
> think that one side or the other could be grabbing? Could that be a master
> cylinder symptom?<snip>
>
> The occasional shimmy COULD be caused by rust that has formed on the rotors
> where the pads are not in contact - if the vehicle sits for awhile.

No sitting, it's daily driven, so while there could be a little surface rust
on rainey days or something, it's not sitting long enough to really get any
going.

> If you notice that the passenger side seems to doing the "grabbing" it's
> probably your brake booster.

I'm keeping an eye out for that, having read about other people here with that
problem. So far, I don't think this is it. But, I may just replace it to be
sure. I'd rather do it before it fails than wait for it and have to do it
later.

> You can replace it yourself, but it's a 3-4
> hour job & ya gotta be a contortionist & use every possible extension on
> your sockets.

3-4 hours - no problem.

Tools - no problem.

Contortionist - yech, but part of working on almost anything made since 1980
it seems. I miss my '73 Buick for that. With a 350 in it, and an engine
compartment big enough to hold a VW Bug under the hood, you could just about
climb in next to it to reach things.