Re: (poke)

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2006 - 18:02:36 EDT

--- Gary Hedlin <superdak@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't care what finish you have: paint,
> powdercoat, chrome, or even
> bare metal, you still need to keep it clean to look
> good. Even if it's
> sitting in a garage, it's still gonna get dusty. So
> how does black need
> less maintnence?? Wouldn't you still need to wash &
> wax it from time to
> time to keep it looking good??'

I have a cover for the bike, a Geza Gear Pro cover to
keep most of the dust off it. And yes, you do need to
wash and wax it, but not as often as you might think.
I use a product called S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. It's
one of those you spray on then rinse off. Dries spot
free, can be used on the entire bike, although I do
remove my seat (leather) and the tank bra. I don't
care to have water under the tank bra and holding
water there to start rust.

> The bike looks cool though.

Thanks! I kinda like it. I bought it 2 years ago from
a dealer in Delaware. It only had about 5,900 miles on
it and was in perfect condition. It now has nearly
21,000 miles on it and the mileage is piling up fast.
I've put over 500 miles on it in the last week,
touring Mt. Lassen Volcanic National Park among other
places. I was up there on 22 Aug and there was still
major snow drifts piled up. Pics are located in this
thread:

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7588

Scroll down to see the snow at the Lassen peak trail
head. I've been back there twice since then and each
trip there and back is about 225 miles. I went to Reno
for the Air Races and Airshow yesterday, which was 180
miles round trip. I still drive my Dak, but I think
I've only had to fill up the gas tank once in the past
6 weeks. While the Dak gets ok gas mileage, the bike
gets about double what the Dak does. Besides, riding
is just plan fun. Which is the major reason I don't
care for chrome on a bike or car. If I had it, I'd
want it to be spotless and sparkling most of the time.
I think I'd probably spend more time cleaning and
polishing than enjoying my ride. So its just my
personal preference. You enjoy having a lot of chrome
and that's your personal preference. I believe to each
their own and do what makes you feel happy. Do you
have a site we can go look at your truck? I'd really
like to see it.

Ray

Some risk is necessary in life. Without risk, the new world wouldn't have been discovered, man wouldn't have landed on the moon and we wouldn't ride motorcycles.