Time for a new Exhaust pipe, and some other mods..

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 18:27:28 EDT

Ok, I have been putting off the inevitable for long enough, I need a new
Exhaust. Since the remains of my tailpipe are held on by the worlds
worst welding job, 3 pieces scrap metal, 4 chunks of broken sawzall
blades and a whole bunch of slag is all that is holding the tailpipe on
the muffler [no way I am posting pictures..don't even ask] All of my
joints are rusted badly, all the way up to the headers, so wherever I
stop, the re-assembly is going to be an adventure. One of the exhaust
hangers is rusted so badly that there is a 2" chunk missing, but the
remainder is "stuck" to the pipe, still...

So, my baby needs a new exhaust, and I am here seeking advice.

The relevant data is:
1999 CC 4x4, auto, 318, 114k, original cat and o2's, Mopar 3" cat-back
[rusted to pieces, literally]

Since I have no emissions testing, I suppose I could just do the
straight pipe thing with a couple of cherry bombs and call it good, but
I think I would like to try to do right here. I have always liked the
way my truck sounded with the Mopar system, and have gotten alot of
compliments on it. I really don't want to lose that deep burble..

My first thought is since it is such a rusted mess, I need to replace
the whole 9 yards, since my odds of finding any section pipe solid
enough to weld on is slim. Stainless obviously fixes this problem but
only if I replace everything and I haven't talked myself into the $$ of
that yet, since I am barely talented enough to weld mild steel myself,
so I would have to pay labor, too.

So, what do y'all suggest? I have one exhaust shop that's sorta local,
but with my work schedule, it's so far been problematic to get in there.

I am also wanting to upgrade a bit on the other end, with a Cold-air
kit, possibly a bigger TB, a Malletized(tm) Viper fan, new plugs, [and I
still need to swap the timing chain.] I am not trying to build a
racecar, but anything that gives me back some of the HP that the big
tires eat up is appreciated..

That is important because the more parts I can get from one source, the
easier my life is.