Re: RE: small clunk in steering column on braking/accel

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 20:16:06 EDT

--- droo <03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:49:18 -0400, Michael
> Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Dan Kramarsky wrote:
> >

> >> the tranny mount is new. tranny was replaced
> last year. but i will
> >> look at it again.
> >>
> >> the u-joints were replaced at that time as well.
> >>
> >> i am thinking it could be the intermediate
> steering shaft. or front
> >> suspension.
> >>

> > The steering shaft would be my first thought -
> either play in the slip
> > joint (I need to figure out how to rebuild that
> part of mine - when I
> > took
> > the shaft apart I could not get it back together
> without breaking the
> > nylon/ teflon/ delrin/ plastic/ whatever thing in
> there in the slip area)
> > or a bad u-joint. That u-joint is non-replacable,
> nobody I checked with
> > (FleetPride, NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone) had any
> joints that small.
> >
> > I cut the yokes off the shaft and welded on yokes
> from the smallest
> > implement u-joint that Tractor Supply sells and
> fixed my shaft for I
> > think
> > around $60 instead of replacing it for over $300.
> I need to find some
> > brass shims to put in the slip joint portion at
> some point though, I do
> > have some slop in there.
> >

> My truck makes this noise as well. I told my
> mechanic about it. He poked
> around and didn't see anything wrong. Suggested the
> slip joint and said
> that his vehicle does that as well. I think he said
> he greases it up and
> it stops. It's been a long time since he told me so
> I'm not sure if that's
> what he said. He said it was no big deal.
>

> --
> -droo
>
> 2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab
> V8 4X4 Manual Transmission
> Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's
> Can-Back Soft Topper
> Rhinoliner
> Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM
> Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers
> Sony 8" Subwoofer
> Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure

Something sticks in my mind about a service bulletin
about the steering shaft making some kind of a noise.
If I remember correctly, the correct repair was to
drop the hardware under the dash that secures the
steering column, lifting the column up and then
letting it drop. Resecure all hardware and it should
stop the noise. I think there was another issue with
the cab bolts on the Club Cab Gen III trucks as well
but my memory is not real clear about that.

You guys might want to check someplace like alldata or
edmunds to make sure.

HTH,

Ray