RE: RE: Mobil 1 5w30 vs Royal Purple 5w30

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 08:35:51 EDT

Why switch if you're happy with what you've been using? From my
experience, the primary difference between oil brands is marketing.

I've used Mobil 1 since 1992 with no problems in any of our cars/trucks.

I tried Amsoil one year because a friend of mine is a distributor and gave
me a discounted price. Still, it was more expensive than Mobil 1 because
around here Walmart sells 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for around $22. That
works out to less than $4.50 per quart. My friend was also promoting the
notion that Amsoil would unleash some hidden performance while protecting my
engines better.

Despite the marketing hype, fuel mileage and drag strip performance were no
different. I also have our used oil analyzed every year and the results
were no different between the two brands. I see no reason to try Royal
Purple as it's more expensive and less available than Mobil 1. If it has
any advantages at all (marketing?) it still isn't worth it to me since Mobil
1 has proven to be more than adequate for our vehicles.

Family vehicles and usage.....
'92 Dakota 5.2 - street driven race truck - 2200+ drag strip passes.
'00 Grand Cherokee 4.7 - daily driver/tows my Dak to far away events/raced
every Wed. night.
'02 Stratus R/T 2.7 - wife's daily driver and weekend racer.

Ray