Re: Plugged Oil Filters (was: empty oil filters)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 18:49:51 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:

> David Gersic wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 09:39 am, Terrible Tom wrote:
>>
>>> cautiously, expecting an oil bath... but nothing... looking inside the
>>> filter, it was empty. Not totally bone dry, but I could see the
>>> "bottom" of the filter through the hole.
>>

>> Well, up until now I could say that I'd never seen this. Did the oil
>> and filter change on mine this morning, though, and found the same
>> thing! The filter was totally plugged. Outside the filter element was
>> full of oil, but the only way I could get it to drain out was to punch
>> a hole in the bottom with a screwdriver. Inside the filter element,
>> nothing at all.
>>

> David, I have a working theory here now. Was your engine hot or cold
> when you changed your oil? You said you changed it in the morning, had
> you driven it at all that morning before changing it?
>
> This engine of mine had not been started in a few months... EVERY
> single other time I have changed oil on any of my cars or trucks, the
> center of the filter had oil it in. Also - every other time I have
> changed oil, I have always warned up the engine to normal operating
> temps because the hot oil flows better and drains faster when warm vs cold.
>
> Jason hit the nail on the head when he said physics. Stuff expands when
> it gets hot, and contracts when it gets cold. The hot oil in the filter
> will contract a certain amount. Keep in mind the filter has two
> chambers and two valves. The anti drainback valve, which is normally
> closed against the holes in the outer portion of the oil filter, where
> the oil enters the filter. And the bypass valve, which is normally
> closed and seals the outer chamber (unfiltered oil) from the center
> chamber, where the oil exits the filter to the engine. With the media
> totally blocked and stopping the oil levels from equalizing in the two
> chambers, .uction must be forming in the outer chamber, sucking the oil
> in from the center portion back into the outer portion until the
> pressure is equalized.
>
> Ever prefill your oil filter? Ever notice how you fill it up to the top
> through the center hole, and the oil level drains down? You usually have
> to add more oil at least once or twice to fill the filter right? Thats
> the oil soaking into and through the media, filling both chambers. The
> fact there is oil on the outside and not the inside of the filter proves
> without a doubt that the media is plugged
>
> I have NO scientific evidence to back this up, just a theory which
> happens to fit the facts. I can't explain the lack of oil in the center
> portion of the filter any other way.

I forgot to make a few points... the reason I asked if you changed our
oil when hot or cold, is because I have always changed my oil hot, I may
never have noticed a clogged filter before, because the oil was hot and
had not been pulled back into the filter case, (the center would still
have oil in it)

Makes me wonder just how many clogged oil filters I've had and never
known. I think I'm going to get in a more set routine for oil service.
  Blackstone oil labs confirmed that at 3500-4000 miles I still had good
amounts of detergents and acceptable levels of dirt in my mobil 1 oil...
and said I could go another 1000 or so miles. I've never done this
before, but I'm thinking of going 5000 miles on oil and changing filters
ever 2500 miles. This would seem to be a more systematic oil service
schedule. It would also reduce the cost of oil changes for my fleet.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine