Plugged Oil Filters (was: empty oil filters)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 18:33:14 EDT

David Gersic wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 09:39 am, Terrible Tom wrote:
>
>>cautiously, expecting an oil bath... but nothing... looking inside the
>>filter, it was empty. Not totally bone dry, but I could see the
>>"bottom" of the filter through the hole.
>

> Well, up until now I could say that I'd never seen this. Did the oil and
> filter change on mine this morning, though, and found the same thing! The
> filter was totally plugged. Outside the filter element was full of oil, but
> the only way I could get it to drain out was to punch a hole in the bottom
> with a screwdriver. Inside the filter element, nothing at all.

David, I have a working theory here now. Was your engine hot or cold
when you changed your oil? You said you changed it in the morning, had
you driven it at all that morning before changing it?

This engine of mine had not been started in a few months... EVERY
single other time I have changed oil on any of my cars or trucks, the
center of the filter had oil it in. Also - every other time I have
changed oil, I have always warned up the engine to normal operating
temps because the hot oil flows better and drains faster when warm vs
cold.

Jason hit the nail on the head when he said physics. Stuff expands when
it gets hot, and contracts when it gets cold. The hot oil in the filter
   will contract a certain amount. Keep in mind the filter has two
chambers and two valves. The anti drainback valve, which is normally
closed against the holes in the outer portion of the oil filter, where
the oil enters the filter. And the bypass valve, which is normally
closed and seals the outer chamber (unfiltered oil) from the center
chamber, where the oil exits the filter to the engine. With the media
totally blocked and stopping the oil levels from equalizing in the two
chambers, .uction must be forming in the outer chamber, sucking the oil
in from the center portion back into the outer portion until the
pressure is equalized.

Ever prefill your oil filter? Ever notice how you fill it up to the top
through the center hole, and the oil level drains down? You usually have
to add more oil at least once or twice to fill the filter right? Thats
the oil soaking into and through the media, filling both chambers. The
fact there is oil on the outside and not the inside of the filter proves
without a doubt that the media is plugged

I have NO scientific evidence to back this up, just a theory which
happens to fit the facts. I can't explain the lack of oil in the center
portion of the filter any other way.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine