Re: Plugged Oil Filters

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2006 - 21:37:25 EDT

David Gersic wrote:
> On Saturday 07 October 2006 05:49 pm, Terrible Tom wrote:
>
>>Makes me wonder just how many clogged oil filters I've had and never
>>known. I think I'm going to get in a more set routine for oil service.
>

> Like I said, I normally do it 3 - 4 times a year, regardless of milage. I mean
> to do it 4 times (Jan / Apr / Jul / Oct), but I usually end up missing one
> and trying to even it out.
>

>> Blackstone oil labs confirmed that at 3500-4000 miles I still had good
>>amounts of detergents and acceptable levels of dirt in my mobil 1 oil...
>

> Is the lab check of the oil worth doing? I've never sent a sample in to them.

I send to Blackstone every oilchange, and sometimes between if I am
running a new [different] oil or filter. As far as I am concerned, the
extra $30 3-4 times a year is cheap compared to a new motor. They can
even tell me when I need to change my air filter [clean the K&N]. I run
either K&N or Mobil 1 [or occasionally Supertech, in a pinch] filters
and mobil 1 oil [15w50 in summer, 10w30 in winter] The supertech filters
  test almost identically to the K&N's, just slightly worse than the
Mobil 1's with the same oil and interval. I believe Supertech might be
Mobil 1 QC rejects or something similar, because they are similar in
most every reguard save price and paint.

  I know that M1 15w50 is good for 5000+ miles, but the M1 10w30 is only
good for 3500 or so [about wore out by 4000] more or less reguardless of
my driving. Delo 400 is also a decent oil, but has lost 50% of it's
additives after 2500 miles, so it's another 3500 mile oil.

   I did try the M1 5w30 once but it's a 2500 mile oil at best. At some
point I am going to run a round of Rotella Synthetic, but since I have
10 gallons or so of Mobil 1 in the shed, it may be a while, unless I
find myself needing a change on the road somewhere.

  This is not speculation, these are hard numbers generated on my
engine. A Fumoto valve makes this testing MUCH easier and is by far the
best accessory I have ever bought for my truck, for the price.