Re: Plugged Oil Filters (was: empty oil filters)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 07:40:04 EDT

David Gersic wrote:
> On Monday 09 October 2006 11:52 am, Eric Hufstedler wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 11:02:12 -0500 David Gersic wrote:
>>
>>>Liquids boil, but otherwise don't change much.
>>
>>Liquids do expand and contract, and from what i have found, more
>>so than solids.
>

> Hm. Interesting. I don't remember them changing that much. But a 10 deg. C
> change in temperature for 20 litres of gasoline increases the volume by
> almost 10%...? Wow. (Free gas!)
>
> We don't know the relevant coefficient for motor oil, but given that the
> temperature change is quite a bit more than 10 deg. C, maybe it is possible
> that it expands and contracts enough to suck the filter dry.
>
> Thanks, Eric.

well after all thats why they say to check the trans fluid level when
hot right? because the fluid expands when hot and will give different
level readings based on temperature?

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine