Re: Cutoff year for transmission swap? (also looking for engine/trans)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 22:33:51 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2006, at 18:39, Jon wrote:
>

>> I'm thinking of swapping a late model smallblock transmission into
>> a '78 Dodge van. i.e. A518/46RH/46RE. I seem to recall that at some
>> point, the transmissions got too much electronics put in 'em to make
>> them viable for a swap into an older vehicle. My memory is bit fuzzy
>> here, but I think on the earlier transmissions, the only elecronics
>> required would be a momentary switch to turn overdrive on and off,
>> then I think maybe a later model also required a switch for the
>> lockup, and later than that, you basically need a computer to run the
>> thing. Could somebody in the know give me the low-down on this?
>

> I think you've got the basics laid out. I'm going to be putting a 46RH
> into a '97 TJ behind a slightly newer 360 that has a manual trans PCM,
> so I'll let you know how that ends up working out. Seems pretty
> similar to what you're planning, just in a very different platform.
>
> In a month or two (not sure if it'll be before or after CO) I'll let
> you know how it goes.

I remember this thread, but I don't remember what, if anything, that I
replied with.

I did a LOT of research prior to starting Christine's modifications.
Best I can tell is that a Ram transmission will not work with a Dakota
set up. Why that is, i do not know. But every single interchange and
look up I came across, salvage yards, etc.. said they were not
interchangeable. Something about the bellhousings.

Having said this... you will have to make sure you get a compatible
drive drain, to assure you have stuff that will work. I.E. an engine
and trans both from a Dkaota, or both from a Ram/Van/Durango/Jeep ZJ .. etc.

As for the 46RH, that transmission has very few electrical connectors.
You will have a three wire connector for the neutral safety/backup lamp
switch, one connector for both (together) the overdrive and lock up
solenoids, and you should have one for a speed sensor on a 2wd tranny...
on 4x4's the speed sensor is in the transfercase. The speed sensor can
be ignored if you plan to use a carbed set up, or a stand alone
megasquirt/FI set up. The sensor can be left in place and still will
drive a mechanical speedo. (however depending on the application, some
may not use cables for the speedos in which case you should be able
remove the sensor, or swap out an older one that uses a cable (like my
89 does) thats a minor issue either way.

Aside from that, the 46RH does not need any special treatment to put in
a situation like that. Then again you could always go with the old
faithful, 727 torqueflite and forget newer trannys all together.

46RH's were found in 94 and 95, 318 Daks, and in 94 Rams.

Also keep in mind differences between the externally balanced 360 V8 and
internally balanced 318s. The flexplates are different.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine