Re: headliner fabric separating

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 10:03:02 EDT

Kurt Cypher <kcypher42@earthlink.net> wrote:

: The fabric of the headliner on my '97 Dakota is separating from the foam
: backing in two places, directly in front of the driver, and directly in
: front of the passenger. It's not interfering with my view of the road
: yet, but I figure I should fix it soon.

: Any suggestions on an adhesive to use to get the fabric to stick back to
: the foam underneath? I'm thinking a spray adhesive of some sort would
: be easiest to use, but I figured I'd see what the collective wisdom of
: the list might come up with.

   The same thing happened in my '92 Ram. I used some headliner
adhesive that I found at Autozone. It was in a fairly large,
orange spray can, I think it might have been made by 3M? Anyway,
the stuff doesn't seem all that strong when you are putting it
together, but it is holding so far. (Follow the instructions on
the can.) The tricky part is to get the fabric back up there
nice and smooth with no wrinkles. My Ram's headliner now has a
couple of wrinkles, but I judged it to be "good enough" for a
work truck and its certainly better than a sagging headliner.
Having the headliner constantly rubbing the top of your head
is only a couple of steps better than Chinese water torture,
IMHO. ;-)

  When I did it, I removed the entire board from the truck
and sprayed it on a table since almost the entire headliner
was sagging, but depending on the size of the sag and its
location, you might be able to get away with spraying it in
the truck.

--
                                          -Jon-