Re: Ball Joint Bewilderment

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 23:25:50 EDT

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
: I measured and the ball joint measures 2 1/18th across. There seem to
: be no balljoint tools suited to this task that I can find. And a large
: box wrench in that size would cost me over $150!! Anyone have any
: suggestions? There has to be a socket or a spanner wrench out there for
: this. I could use a pipe wrench? But thats not my first choice.

   I've never messed with ball joints either. Does the threaded one
have a standard hex shape on it like it would accept a socket? If
so, a Willys/Jeep CJ uses a 2 1/16" spindle nut socket, maybe that
would work? Or, if you have access to some scrap metal and a welder
or a grinder, you may be able to build a tool for it?

   Or, like Rascal said, a pipe wrench would probably bite into
it; and would get it out of there if you are replacing it anyway;
I guess that doesn't really help you to install the new one
though, unless you don't mind a few bite marks. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-