Re: Feeler: Another Aftermarket EMS option

From: Kevin S (kevin14@surewest.net)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 02:45:40 EDT

Thanks for the info. I guess what I'm not sure of is how to get the info
to the gauges/CCD with a MS system, and how to control the tranny. The other
catch is that I live in CA, so part of our smog test requires the tech to
tap into the OBD-II system and make sure everything checks out. That's why
the piggyback system sounded so good.

This is my biggest gripe, that they care more about what it looks like than
how it runs at the tailpipe...but I wont start my rant here.

More research to come for sure.

Kevin

Hello sneezer@gmail.com,

> In article <25ae83fa0cac8c8c34667ca4230@news.dakota-truck.net>,
> kevin14@surewest.net (Kevin S) writes:
>
>> Has anybody experimented with the Civinco Emgine Management System?
>> Is there any interest in the system?
>>
>> http://www.civinco.com/eng_funkar.html
>>
>> Ever since my Dak erroniously got the "death flash," I've been trying
>> to find a way to get the lost power and mileage back.
>>
>> MegaSquirt can't handle all of the chassis controls that are
>> integrated into the PCM, and does not do OBD-II.
>>
>> The FAST system requires custom wiring (not easily swappable), does
>> not do OBD-II, and is not smog legal in CA.
>>
>> I've seen the Civinco systems in action among the Volvo crowd (300+
>> HP from the 2.5L 5 cyl. motor) and *may* be able to get them to work
>> with us on the other Dodge PCM's. Basically, the Civinco piggyback
>> controller goes between the factory PCM and the engine. It uses the
>> factory sensors & injectors, and the signals from the PCM, to tweak
>> the ignition and injection however you wish. It allows the use of a
>> laptop to create custom fuel maps, and stores the custom programs on
>> sim cards that can be hot-swapped (i.e. 89 octane program, race gas
>> program, towing program, etc.). The PCM is still completely
>> functional, it just never sees the altered fuel or ignition maps
>>
>> I am pretty set on making something work to get what I want out of my
>> Dak. The question is - is there enough interest to work on a
>> prototype for the Dodges/Daks???
>>
>> Kevin
>>
> MS will work on an OBDII vehicle. Most of the people I know that have
> put MS on their vehicles maintain the existing PCM as well. MS just
> controls the fuel, etc.
>
> All standalone systems will have problems from an emissions
> standpoint. Just about every OBDII emissions test I know of will fail
> one due to codes being thrown, regardless of the actual emissions.
>
> I've never heard of the civinco system myself. I plan on running MS on
> mine, although it is only a 92. I know of at least one other person
> who is going to be running MS on an RT, but that one is going to be a
> beast anyway.
>
> Check out the MS stuff on dak-dur. DIY recently became a sponsor over
> there. they should be able to point you in the right direction.
>
> Kevin

Kevin Sellstrom, W6KTB E-Mail:ksellstr@softcom.net
***Elk Grove, California***

'99 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L, SLT, AT, 4x4