Bolt grades (was: Shock Bolts again...)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 12:55:17 EDT

"Hop *" <hopsdak@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Anything special to look for at the depot for bolts?

   For automotive applications where the bolt is actually going to be
stressed, I like to use grade 5 when possible. If I can't find grade
5 in the size I want, then I will usually substitute grade 8. My
reasoning behind this is that grade 2 may not be strong enough,
whereas grade 8 will definitely be strong enough, but at the cost of
being more brittle, which might allow a side load to snap it.
(Despite often being used that way, bolts aren't really designed for
side loads, they are designed for clamping; side loads are supposed
to be supported by the friction between the clamped surfaces, which is
generated by the tensile strength of the bolt, as opposed to being
supported directly by the side of the bolt itself, as a pin would
be used.)

   Anyhoo, grade 5 seems like a good compromise; its a lot stronger
than grade 2, but not as brittle as grade 8. I could be wrong,
but I seem to think that grade 5 is the most common type of bolt
used by the OEMs for stressed parts like suspension and driveline
fasteners.

--
                                          -Jon-