Re: Plugging tires

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 20:49:43 EDT

On Tue, October 24, 2006 2:25 pm, Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Mike wrote:
>

>> Don Rey wrote:
>> >
>> > So have you ever had a DIY-plugged tire fail? Horror stories? Had a
>> > plug last 50,000 miles?
>> What you really should do, is take the tire off the wheel and patch it
>> from the inside after plugging it. If there is any problem with the
>> plug, it could allow air into the tire between the plies resulting in a
>> separation.
>>

> You are quite right Mike, a patch from the inside is the "right" way to
> go, but if done properly plugs are certainly acceptable. I would also say
> that if you're going to patch it, there's no point whatsoever in putting a
> plug in it. The plug will be VERY much in the way when trying to patch
> it.

I changed tires for 3 years and saw a fair amount of leaky plugs and patches.
 With everything there's always some chance for problems, but for my money
I'd patch it right from the getgo just to be safe.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.