RE: Walt's other long winded Ramblings

From: Walt Felix (Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 17:35:27 EDT

Yea, we tried that but he doesn't even want to talk. He has it in his mind that this house is worth $300k right now and doesn't want to hear anything else. I would have gladly paid that earlier this year but I think he's several months too late with that price as the market here is tanking big time as well. He owns this house outright and short of the $3500 yearly tax bill and the $1000 insurance bill, he won't loose by holding out. Eventually the market will come back around and he'll be able to get that price if he were to actually list the property. But I think he's basing his current asking price on what he wants to net from the transaction. The whole idea of doing this as a private transaction just goes to support that theory. I understand that doing a "For Sale by Owner" can save a seller a lot of money in fees, but it's just plain stupid when your trying to do it from 15 time zones away. His response to our $275k offer was "the house is not on the open market. I am not in a position where I have t
o sell. It is being offered at the moment more for a situational circumstance." I think we would be better off just looking elsewhere. He's obviously not serious about selling and thinks I'm just going to continue to rent this place like I've been doing. His story may or may not change once we leave but at this point, we've lost interest in buying this place. We'll just keep looking for the time being. There are a lot of houses available in neighboring towns and more getting listed every day. It is a very strong buyers market here and I'm even seeing some sellers throwing in incentives like big screen TVs and in one case a huge 1 piece slate pool table, just to get buyers interested. Several of the houses we've looked at have been on the market since the beginning of the year and two have been vacant for even longer. Seems like the market peaked about the end of January. Now I'm just trying to decide how hard to push to find something right now or wait until spring. The real estate market real!
 ly slows
 down around here once the weather turns and I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to move once the snow starts. The driveway here seriously sucks and it'll become exponentially more difficult to back my 24ft enclosed car trailer up the driveway once it freezes. I have a hard enough time driving up the hill in 4wd once the ground freezes and because there is insufficient room to turn the trailer around up here, I'll have to back up the whole 1000 feet up the steep grade. The plan is to use the trailer to move instead of renting a truck or hiring a mover. Not that I think a moving truck make it up that driveway in the winter. There is a reason why this house has two oil tanks.

Anyhow, I figure houses in this area lost around 15% of their value since the end of January. I just need to decide if I think they are going to continue to drop and wait for spring or if they've bottomed out and I should jump now. Back in the early 90's, values dropped like 30% over two years and took many years to recover. I don't want to jump too soon and buy a house that can still loose value, but I can screw myself by waiting too long. Right now, the trend looks to be that prices have fluctuating up and down since late August, in the case of this house between $270k & $280k, according to Zillow.Com. I'm seeing some small gains over the last couple of weeks on the several properties I've been watching but I don't know if that will continue. I almost want to say I shouldn't wait much longer.

Thanks,

Walt