Re: Re: vandalism

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 22:58:33 EST

On Mon, October 30, 2006 12:07 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> That sucks. Sorry to hear that, Josh! I know that a lot of
> older restored vehicles use a system called "secret audio"; the
> idea being to hide the system away so that the car doesn't appear
> modified from stock, but this would also hide it from thieves.
> You could maybe make a block-off panel for the radio, which you
> could make to swing up out of the way and have a bundle of dummy
> wires back there which you could pull out and leave hanging out of
> the opening when you park it - would make it look to a thief that
> somebody already beat 'em to your radio.

I'm actually thinking about figuring out a way to make a plate that'll fit in
there to look like a factory radio delete plate. I kind of like the idea of
the wires hanging out though, that sounds like fun.

I'm not really sure what direction I'm going to go with it, but the alarm
will go in before anything else. Any suggestions are welcome, I'm leaning
towards something from Clifford or Code Alarm.

The only good news is that since I'm ridiculous about keeping everything, I
have all the receipts for everything that was taken. I sent them to my
insurance and they'll be fedexing me the equivalent (new model numbers) units
from the same manufacturers.

> The only catch is I'm not sure how advanced these secret
> audio systems are, wether they would have the features you
> might want like playing mp3s or what have you. Might be an
> option to check out though?

I play with the radio way too much when driving, it's gonna have to go
somewhere I can reach it easily. I've actually been thinking about doing a
carputer setup with my thinkpad. The docking station is relatively cheap,
and if I do it that way I can set it up to use a touch screen in the dash
(with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, just in case) and mount the receiver
somewhere else (like a custom console) under a lid or something. That way I
can have full wifi connectivity and everything whenever I want it, then take
the valuable piece with me when I park the truck.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.