Re: 45RFE output shaft spline count?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 15:56:09 EST

On Nov 4, 2006, at 6:31, Miles D. Oliver wrote:

> I recently helped a friend swap in a new transfer case into his
> jeep. He was able to find a wrecked jeep rubicon and we removed his
> NP231 transfer case and installed the new NV241OR. This transfer
> case has a 4:1 ratio and looks very similar to whats in the Dakota.
> This was a bolt in and he was able to keep his driveshafts.
>
> The NV241OR has a 23 spline input. If I recall so does the NV231
> I have in my truck.
>
> I wonder of the NV241OR would bolt in? Linkage aside I wonder if
> something like this could be done, and if so, why nobody has done
> it before.

That would be a fantastic score. I don't know if the Rubicon has a
SYE from the factory or not, I don't know if the stock jeep rear
driveshaft has the same slip yoke as the stock Dakota either. I
think the reason that no Dakota owner has gone down this path is
because so few are actually wheeled. You've made me want to
investigate this seriously - it's a drastically simpler solution than
I've been hoping to accomplish (range box + NP205). I'm sure that
like so many other Jeep parts that Rubi case is worth it's weight in
platinum though.

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |