RE: Re: Dodge Caravan

From: Jamie Calder (jcalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2006 - 22:10:16 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of DAKSY
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 8:37 PM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML: Re: Dodge Caravan

Hey, James...

<snip> I know this isn't the Caravan forum but there's a bunch of gear heads
here...

 My friends '98 Caravan 3.0 won't go. They were idling in park when white
smoke started coming out the exhaust. He put it in drive to pull into a
parking lot and heard a loud clunk (like a very loose u-joint), then a
whine. It just creeps in forward now.<snip>

The exhaust smoke might be a blown head gasket...
The clunk might have been the Torque converter or another tranny part, like
a transaxle...
Doesn't make much sense that the tranny & the engine would both die
simultaneously, tho...
Any antifreeze in the oilpan?
Does reverse work?
Any shrapnel on the ground?

Anybody else got input?

Bob (DAKSY) Smith
DAKSY2K on AIM
2K SY Dakota Sport +
V-6 4 x 4 5 speed
2K05 HD 883C YP

http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/
Averill Park, NY

Bob,

He's going to take a closer look at the oil tomorrow to look for water.
Not sure about reverse.
No shrapnel on the ground.
He's almost positive the transaxle is shot AND a blown head gasket. But
like you said, both at the same time????