Re: RE: Mirrors and Gas Tanks

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2006 - 14:56:11 EST

On Nov 25, 2006, at 11:12, Terrible Tom wrote:

> The reason you are not supposed to run an electricl fuel pump dry -
> whereas you could sit and do it all night long to an old carbed
> engine and a mechanical pump, ie because the electric pumps use the
> lubricating properties of the fuel - to keep all its peices working
> right. Even more critical for diesels.

gasoline has almost no lubricity. This is VITAL for oilburners of
any era though - the higher pressure the pump the more important.
The argument always used for the Dodge in-tank pumps is cooling. I
don't know whether that's true or false but I've put more than 20
gallons into my tank about 30 times out of 330 logged fillups, and
I'm still on the original pump at 146000 miles. (lifetime MPG 12.3)

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |