Re: Re: CV joints?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 23:04:43 EST

On Dec 3, 2006, at 2:34, Terrible Tom wrote:

> In your attempts to track down the noise, do *not* attempt to drive
> ANY four wheel drive Dodge Dakota with one or both of the CV axles
> removed. The spindle nuts keep the wheel bearing and hub units
> together. Driving with a CV shaft out *will* cause hub failure.

+1

And I see many cases where joints only make noise under load or
greater than normal angle as they begin to fail.

Get under the truck with the tcase it N or 2 (so there is no load on
the front driveline) and try to wiggle all the joints. Nothing
should have any significant lateral or rotational slop.

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |