RE: RE: 5-speed to 727 swap?? Anyone done it??

From: mike kulczycki (dakota1994@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2006 - 07:55:58 EST

From: "Ray Block"

>Yes, the year does matter. Early 360 magnum flexplates used one offset
>mounting hole for the converter. Sometime in the mid-nineties the
>factory
>switched to 4 evenly spaced holes. AFAIK, all 727's used torque
>converters
>with the offset hole. A '93-'94 360 magnum flexplate would be good.

Thanks Ray for the reply. I will have to start looking for an flexplate to
meet my needs...

>Most 727's were non-lockup. That is what you would want, in addition to
>being sure it is a small-block 727. Whether you buy from him or not, talk
>with John Cope at CRT... http://coperacingtrans.com/ John can fix you up
>with both a trans and converter to suit your needs.

I will check out John. Might be a good way to go... Then I'll know for
sure that I have everything correct...

>That's what most people do. You may also want to find out if the CPS is
>different for an automatic. I've heard they are different length.

I'll have to ask John that also...

>Some things you didn't mention are the kickdown linkage, speedometer
>gear/speed sensor, shifter and trans mount. You have that covered? You
>will probably need a throttle body and bracket from an automatic truck for
>connecting the kickdown/throttle valve linkage.

Yea I didn't think about the linkage and speedometer. Linkage from an auto
should work i'm assuming. I'll have to look into that... the shifter I
figured wouldn't be to bad. I can get a shifter from Jegs or Summit and
make it work. A buddy of mine swapped an auto in for a manaul and didn't
have to much problem in his S10... And the trans mount I figure I am going
to have to modify the current one and make it work. I'm hoping that they
aren't to different. I know my automatic 94 dakota has the same trans mount
and everything. I can deal with a little fab work for that...

Thanks again for the reply and the help...

View Athlete’s Collections with Live Search
http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01