RE: RE: 5-speed to 727 swap?? Anyone done it??

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2006 - 09:40:20 EST

You can buy a new one from the dealer. Not expensive.

> You may also want to find out if the CPS is
> >different for an automatic. I've heard they are different length.
>
> I'll have to ask John that also...

John may not know about the CPS. Would be easy to check with a dealer or
auto parts store to see if a CPS for an auto and manual are the same for a
given year.

> >Some things you didn't mention are the kickdown linkage, speedometer
> >gear/speed sensor, shifter and trans mount. You have that covered?
> You
> >will probably need a throttle body and bracket from an automatic truck
> for
> >connecting the kickdown/throttle valve linkage.
> >

> Yea I didn't think about the linkage and speedometer. Linkage from an
> auto
> should work i'm assuming.

All you need is the throttle valve cable for an automatic and be sure your
throttle body bracket has a slot for it. Less than $30 last time I
checked. You may need to get the correct trans lever from the dealer as
well if the 727 doesn't come with one or isn't the same.

> the shifter I
> figured wouldn't be to bad. I can get a shifter from Jegs or Summit and
> make it work.

There's nothing to "making it work". Any 3 speed shifter for a 727 will
work fine. I use a B&M truck shifter. It's taller than one for a car.
Hurst also makes a shifter with a longer stick for trucks.

Good luck Mike.

Ray