Re: Oil FIlters

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 12:02:45 EST

"Ray Block" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

:> -----Original Message-----
:> From: jon@dakota-truck.net
:>
:> You do take something of a risk with extended oil change intervals
:> unless you do oil testing. <snip>
:> Of course, for the average Joe to get
:> an oil test is around $20 a pop,

: I pay for six in advance and it lowers the price. I have each of our
: vehicles tested once a year. It's worth it for the peace of mind
: considering how hard they get used during race season.

   True. I used to do this as well, and have unfortunately gotten
away from it; I have been thinking about doing it again. It would be
nice to keep tabs on the health of the engine. I was more referring to
using the oil test as a determining factor as to when to change the
oil not being worthwhile for the average vehicle since you can just
change the oil for the same price as the test. The test itself though
is quite valuable to tell you what is going on inside the engine. What
does Blackstone charge when you buy six in advance? I didn't realize
that was an option, I should probably start doing the tests again.

:> As far as the filters go with extended oil change intervals, I
:> would imagine that as the filter gets clogged, the bypass will start
:> to open and the extra junk is going to start getting picked up on
:> an oil test.

: Agreed. Just FYI, Blackstone keeps telling me I should go longer intervals
: on our oil changes as they've yet to find anything of concern. I usually do
: them between 3 and 5K miles. What's funny is, until I told them we were
: racing these vehicles, their notes kept saying we must have been driving
: them carefully to have such consistently good results! :-)

  Heheh! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-