Re: Having some troubles with the truck...

From: Biff Byrum (bbyrum9@foothill.net)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 14:08:53 EST

No, what I meant was that we were looking around at every other thing that
could have generated your symptoms. I guess there's just too many little
things nowadays that go bad, so we forget the obvious.

I just went out and checked my '95. Been sitting for 10 hours in 45 degrees.
12.85 volts, both at the posts and the cable ends. It's a recent Group 27,
with recent factory cable set.

As to the voltmeter, I don't know GenIII's yet. My GenII has been very
consistent. But it doesn't have numbers on the dial. Best guess is that when
you get your truck back to perfect condition, put the meter on the battery
several times under different conditions and see what it reads compared to
the dash meter. Question: Did the needle move under different load
conditions? When you get it right, observe where the needle sits at idle
with no other load, other than maybe radio, but not heater or headlights.
There should be a small difference between summer and winter. Biff