Re: Batteries

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 00:06:18 EST

WiLieR[SS] wrote:

> On 1/31/07, Marc W. Grobe <mgrobe@leghorncomputing.com> wrote:
>
>> Some of us Jeep guys on a different forum have been debating them
>> recently.
>> A lot of people have been complaining has been occuring regarding
>> premature failure of mostly red tops. Hard to say if there has been
>> quality issues the last two years or so. Or if there is some
>> mitigating circumstances that have caused these batteries to fail.
>> Pontential similar batteries are the Exide Orbital/Napa Orbital and
>> Odyssey batteries.
>> I can provide a link if interested.
>> -Marc-
>

> I wonder how many of these failures are caused by the use of a red top
> when a yellow top is actually needed instead. Would be interesting to
> research into that a bit more; the amount of electrical accessories
> used on the vehicle, what kind of draw do they have, what size
> alternator, etc...
>
> WiLieR

You raise a very good point. If these are rigs with winches and high
powered lights etc... even a really powerful stereo... a red top is NOt
the right option. A red top optima (or equivilant) will be able to hold
up to multiple discharge/recharge cycles better than a standard lead
acid battery will (sulfation = bad!)

However, and Optima states this clearly... red tops are STARTING
batteries only! Prolonged repeated cycling (discharge/recharge) of a
red top optima will kill it - just not as fast. Starting batteries are
designed to give the highest amps as all at once, to get an engine
started. They sacrifice longevity and durability to be able to do that.
   (higher CA (cranking amps - rated at 32 degrees F) and CCA (cold
craking amps rated at zero degrees F) numbers don't necessarily "better"
- but that they are able to deliver higher amps on demand for short
periods of time.

Deep cycles typically have lower CA and CCA numbers than "starting"
batteries - because they are designed for run time and cycling of the
charge. Spiral cell gell batteries do both of these better because they
dont have traditional lead plates in fluid acid. They are less prone to
sulfation. Sulfation occures when the plates flake (due to cycling or
lack of electrolite, or overcharging) and sufuric deposits build up in
the bottom of the battery case - dead shorting the plates. Batteries are
designed to handle deposits... the bottom of the cases are designed with
a grid that can trap build up on the bottom... but it can only do so,
for so long.

This is why you don't want to cycle batteries that arnt designed to
handle multiple discharge/recharges. Also why you need to keep
eletrolite levels up over the plates. Plates exposed to air long term,
will suffer damage.

Sorry to get long winded... I'm used to having to go into these kinds of
things from working a parts counter. You should have heard me when a
guy came into the store looking for a battery to use on his camper and
wanted to know if a deep cycle would be best. LOL

Bottom line is I suspect that there may have been too much demand placed
on those red top batteries in question. I've NEVER heard of them going bad.

Orbital batteries are every bit as good as an optima - however optima
seesm to have more configurations, sizes, and amperage ratings avalible
than the Orbitals

Get a freaking rose tattoo and deal with it...
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine