Re: Caliber?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 19:09:40 EST

On Feb 17, 2007, at 9:38, Barry Oliver wrote:

> Michael Maskalans wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 2007, at 21:57, Barry Oliver wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm, I have been rather enamoured with the caliber
>>> myself....Mebbie I might have to re-think that...
>> I drove one as a rental for nearly a week, I liked it....
>
> Ok, Mike, do tell. Compare it to, say, your jetta, if you would.
> Aside from the obvious gas vs diesel thing, how did it perform?
> What did you like about it? What didn't you like?

Felt American instead of German - not quite as tight, "budget
conscious" interior to be kind - but decently put together for a
rental class car. Drove very much like my Jetta did in stock form:
prone to severe understeer and a little more than desired body motion
but very predictable and up to 7/10ths was perfectly confident.

I was impressed with the CVT once I figured out how to drive it
(pedal DOWN to go, and a hair of lag), and my overall impression was
positive.

Can probably get similarly configured Caliber for cheaper than a
Jetta, but I'd still take the Kraut =)

I hear that the Euro market Caliber uses the 2.0 TDI, that would
certainly make me give it a second look. I've been considering
swapping to a wagon for cargo space options, and I think I might
rather have a Caliber than a Jetta Estate, but the TDI will keep me
in a Volks.

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |