RE: Technical Tire Question ANSWER from a guy that sells tires all day

From: Mr. Plow (adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2007 - 02:53:43 EST

Ed, if your truck is a 3/4 or 1 ton, stick with the load range E tires.
ESPECIALLY if you're running a diesel.
Ya, using math you can see that it's possible to match up tires with a lower
ply rating. (E is 10 ply)
But that is if you are just looking at static loads.
When you take a turn hard, you are transferring much more weight on the
outside of the vehicle, and consequently to the tires. And that diesel
engine is so much heavier than the gasser, your front tires will fail pretty
quick if you're running an inadequate ply rating.

Maybe you can think of it in terms of a safe working load.
Maybe a 1/2 ton truck is rated to hold 1000 lbs in the bed, but if you ran
around all day, every day with that weight back there, you're truck with
wear faster than having an occassional lighter load back there.
And everyone that has a truck has probably over loaded the weight limits at
one point or another. And ya, you made it home with the bed entirely filled
with gravel, and the bump stops never stopped touching the axle the whole
way home...

Things "can" be done with your vehicle that maybe "shouldn't" be done. ;)

The Adam Blaster
Two words, figure it out.....

Intro*Terms http://www.NexTag.com