Re: was: doo dum ... now Timing chain

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 00:14:07 EST

Eric Hufstedler wrote:
>>I've still got the original timing chain, it doesn't make any
>>noise oddly enough. I've had people tell me that this is pretty
>>odd for as many miles as I have.
>

> Does the timing chain from an LA 318 fit the 3.9's?
>
> Do the tensioners really start going bad at 100k? Are their any warning signs?
> My dak has ~90k on it.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

I just had a long conversation with a Dodge mechanic that I would
categorize as at least equal to Bernd [22 years at the same dealership].

He says he cannot remember the last time he saw a failed timing chain on
a 318/360. Usually, they get slack, jump time and run like crap, but
even that's rare.

I was all fired up to change mine [I have 120k] and he essentially
talked me out of it.