Re: was: doo dum ... now Timing chain

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 01:10:37 EST

Barry Oliver wrote:

> He says he cannot remember the last time he saw a failed timing chain on
> a 318/360. Usually, they get slack, jump time and run like crap, but
> even that's rare.

I cannot recall hearing of a timing chain break (under normal
circumstances) - however I have had both chains in both 89 Daks go out.
  When it sounds like a can of juts and bolts rattling around behind the
waterpump, and its quiet when cold and noisey when warmed up - then you
know the chain is shot.

Christine's timing chain was so loose I could almost pull it off the
sprockets with them still on the cam and crank.

> I was all fired up to change mine [I have 120k] and he essentially
> talked me out of it.

(shrug) the point of changing it before it goes bad - on a higher milage
engine - is to avoid a situation that could leave you stranded with a
dead engine (chain jumped or whatever)

Get a freaking rose tattoo and deal with it...
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine