Re: fuel filter in 2002 Dakota ?

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2007 - 15:10:23 EDT

--- "Miles D. Oliver" <moliver@mmoliver.org> wrote:

> Where is the fuel filter on the 2002 Dakota /
> 2003 Durango ?
>
> I can't find any reference in my Haynes manual or
> anything online.
>
> Autozone doesn't list a fuel filter, it Just says
> "Requires replacement
> of the complete fuel pump".
>
> So there is no Separate fuel filter on these
> trucks ?? To replace it I
> have to drop the tank?

Correct. The fuel filter is not serviceable and is
incorporated into the fuel pump assembly along with
the fuel tank sending unit. Before you go to all the
trouble of dropping the tank or removing the bed to
get at it, I'd suggest doing a bit more
troubleshooting. Like getting a gauge on the fuel rail
and checking the fuel pressure.

You also mentioned something about a evap leak. I'd
try to track that down first and see if fixing it
might fix the stalling problem. The fuel pump assembly
is pretty reliable overall. I've got nearly 150K on my
truck and I had Dodge replace my fuel pump under
warranty at about 20K miles due to a fluctuating fuel
gauge.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Ray