Re: 3.9L cylinder head work

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 11:58:10 EDT

msnbcnnbcbs@hotmail.com wrote:
> My issue is if the cam needs to come out, things start getting
> prohibitively expensive. between a new cam, a valvetrain that can
> handle 55000+ rpms, and the custom tune, along with all the items i
> described below, i may be looking at close to $5,000. My budget was
> around $3,000. He is telling my upgrades are a waste of time without a
> cam swap. Besides, this truck is a daily driver and I didnt want to do
> anything too radical.

   This is probably not the reply you wanted to hear but I figured I'd
throw my $.02 in anyway. :-) If it were me, I'd question spending that
kind of money on a V6. Granted, some people enjoy getting as much power
out of any given engine as they can, and there is something very cool
about beating up on the V8s with an engine that "shouldn't" be able to.
:-) If that is your goal, then by all means, have at it! However, from
a strictly cost/benefit ratio, $3K is an awful lot of money to drop into
that engine for the amount of power increase that some head work,
rockers, headers and a chip will net you. As far as head porting goes,
I'm sure it would help, but truth be told, these Magnum heads are
actually fairly decent, as factory heads go. If you have the know-how
and/or the Mopar Performance templates to do the work yourself, or if
you can have it done very inexpensively then its probably worth doing,
but it seems to me that in general, having head porting done is usually
not a great beneift on a power per dollar basis unless the heads you are
starting with are pretty bad.

    For the same budget, you could likely swap in a (used) V8, or you
could go the forced induction route with a turbo or blower. Either one
of the above options would probably give you more bang for the buck.

   Like I mentioned above, if you're looking to stick with the V6 for
the "cool factor" of making power with a small motor, then just ignore
this post, but if your perspective is instead getting the most power for
the least amount of money, I think there are probably better routes to
take.

   On a somewhat related note, be aware of your transmission as well;
depending on what you got from the factory, once you get to a certain
power level you may be looking at an upgrade in that department in order
to ensure reliability. (i.e. 42R series to 46R series, A500 to A518,
performance rebuild of 46R series or A518, etc.)

--
                                          -Jon-