Re: Beater economics

From: Jason A Banta (jason.banta@louisville.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 11:17:21 EDT

Don't know much about the way things work up north, but my brother in law got a Ford Escort 4 door for $650 at an auto auction. He hasn't had any major problems out of it in the 4+ years he has had it.

Jason Banta

>>> Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> 4/5/2007 10:10 AM >>>

Well, I see gas prices are already up to $3.85 a gallon in Ontario.
Looks like they're getting an early start on the summer price gouging spree.

I've been debating the merits of trading my '95 Dakota for a smaller
car. Unfortunately, my budget will only allow for a $1500-2000 beater
(Canadian, so figure about $1300-1750 US). It's going to be at least
two years before I'd be able to come up with more than that, probably
more like four. I've already established I can't afford the insurance
on three vehicles, so this would have to replace the Dakota.

On the one hand, I've been spending about $270 a month just on fuel for
the truck, which is just going to increase over the summer. My current
financial situation is not good, and I'm not sure how I'm going to keep
this up. I figure a small car could easily save me at least $100 a month.

On the other hand, there's the guarantee that any $1500 car is going to
need work, if not now then soon, and who knows what's been done to it
over the years. Particularly here in the rust belt. My Dakota has its
share of issues that I'd like to fix, but at least I know its history
and I'm reasonably familiar with the design by now. Plus, Ontario is
pretty strict about the inspections they make a car pass before it can
be registered. No periodic inspections to make sure things don't
deteriorate over time, until the new owner goes to register it and gets
the unpleasant surprise.

I know asking for opinions can be trouble :-), but I'd like to hear them
anyway. What do you think? Just keep coughing up money to feed my
Dakota until it falls apart, or downsize to someone else's lemon junk?

Thanks.